Tuesday 3 February 2015

Bring on February!

Well, there goes January already!  Man, I thought last year went fast, but if this year is going to go this much faster, I better start on my Christmas fabric collection!  (Pantone Marsala and Sage Green?  Bit of taupe?  Just thinking out loud!)

As expected, it was an incredibly busy month, so busy I didn't have time to document it here as I would have liked!  I was hoping to post here at least once a week on a Saturday, and will try to get into the swing of that this month!

I finished off my last post by saying I was going off to complete a design for the upcoming Spoonflower/ Urban Threads Steampunk Valentines contest, I went with a mechanical bird delivering love letters.  Given that the idea is that this design would be used as the basis for an embroidery pattern, I kept it fairly simple, with strong outlines and basic shading.  Let me know what you think in the comments, or on my Facebook page.  Voting opens in two days and I'll put a reminder in my next post and on Facebook.

Liliflora Pretty Contest Entry for Spoonflower Steampunk Valentines Contest

The first four weeks of the Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design has been fantastic.  We've been going back to basics in terms of finding inspiration, documenting ideas and sketching, mark making, mood-board and palette creation, and have now gotten into the actual pattern designing.  It's been fun to go back and play with different ideas and mediums I wouldn't normally use, and to just loosen up with a big fat paintbrush and some ink and produce random shapes, textures and marks that could end up as part of a pattern.  The facebook group is wonderful, with everyone sharing and supporting each other from all over the world.  It's a very exciting thing to be a part of, and I'm hoping that, between everything else I'm doing, that it's all filtering in somehow.  The best part is being able to see pattern everywhere.  Shapes and colours are all around us, no matter our environment, and it's wonderful to think that any of it could spark off an idea for a pattern.  It makes inspiration a permanent state, not some random thing that magically comes to you when it feels like.  It gives me a lot of confidence to continue on the journey, as I know that inspiration (and my resulting enthusiasm) isn't about to dry up any time soon!

ABSPD Module 1 sketching excercise Rose

ABSPD Mood Board Palette Inspiration
As mentioned in the previous post, I splashed out on the priority shipping and got my Coy Blooms fabrics from Spoonflower within a week!  It was great and I've been able to get stuck into sewing up lovely things with it to sell in my Etsy shop.  I'm 'renovating' the shop as we speak, and will have the products in there in the coming days.  In the meantime, the Coy Blooms fabric collection is now available for purchase in my Spoonflower shop, and here is a sneak peak of the items I've made from it so far!

Liliflora Pretty Coy Blooms Clutch Purses large and small

Liliflora Pretty Coy Blooms cuff, bib necklace, earrings
Liliflora Pretty Coy Blooms Market Pouch Purse
Let me know what you think, here in the comments or the Facebook page.

See you Saturday with a new post!
Emma







No comments:

Post a Comment